When communicating with a customer a security guard should conform to the Golden Rule of customer service which means treat the customer the way that you would want to be treated. Customers are vital to a company because without them there would be no business. The customer does not want to come in a place where they are treated unfairly/rudely/unprofessionally. Security guard should treat the customer with respect dealing with problems faced by customer and offer a convincing solution to customer problems. When speaking to a customer it is important that the guard be positive, polite and professional so that the customer believes that the guard is actually doing everything they can to help with due attention to the customer. It is very important to listen to customers and understand where they are coming from and to emphasis with the customer that you are seriously about their concerns. There are four different aspects of listening and understanding that guard should become familiar with.
- Body Language
- Keep direct eye contact Use open body language with no folded arms; no crossed legs and keep hands out of pockets always try to smile
- Voice - Use a calm voice Keep even tones and volume without cracking or raising the voice
- Wording Do not use negative words such as “no,” I can’t” or “but”
- Think before you talk
- Know your message
- Speak in a low soft voice
- Always give relevant answer to the customer.
Security guard need to think before he speaks because it is very important that the words coming from your mouth it should be positive words which is comfortable and acceptable to the customer.